Edinburgh Stair Lighting Repairs
After a completing a risk assessment that includes safety implications. AEW will therefore return to Edinburgh Stair Lighting repairs on 11th of May 2020. With this in mind PPE requirements of face masks, gloves, high viz jacket will be used at all times. Also keep your distance safety signs will be used on all jobs.
Welcome to AEW Electrical (Andy White) Edinburgh stair lighting site. So, if you want a comprehensive offer that gives you peace of mind with fixed costs that incudes free faulty light fitting repairs and broken or missing shade replacement with no extra charges then read below.
City of Edinburgh Council Repairs (CEC)
City of Edinburgh Council (CEC) ceased to maintain and repair tenement stair lighting in communal areas within private properties on June 2016 . Therefore this has moved the onus of responsibility onto the owners. As a result they now have a legal duty of care for repair and maintenance to ensure that the stair lighting is operational.
Although City of Edinburgh Council has given up common stair light maintenance in private properties they do still pay for the electricity. So, it is good practise to comply with the CEC specification on maintaining stair lights.
In concusion where the stair does not comply with this specification CEC may insist on an electric meter being fitted thus transferring the cost of the power supply to the owners.
All aspects of communal stair lighting repairs. Modifications and upgrades are covered by AEW Electrical who now offer light fitting repairs and shade replacement free of charge during a re-lamp. A customer recently said “It helps me greatly that my task as the organiser is a lot easier due to fixed costs. It is also peace of mind for me and the other residents with no surprise or extra charges”
Stair Lighting Edinburgh
Whats so special about Edinburgh stair lighting ?
- Well the cost to pay for the maintenance and repairs was charged through the old rates system now the council tax.
- The majority have no electric meters fitted so CEC still pay via a calculated charge so, its good practise to follow their specifications. (This is under constant review)
- Light fittings are 30-40 years old and are nearing the end of their service life
- The lights are controlled via a Astro timer clock that tracks Edinburgh’s sunset and sunrise times.
- The clocks have an energy saving mode and on & off times change daily.
- Longer life tubes are used.
- Starter units replaced.
- Shades washed and cleaned.
- Check operation of Astro clock
- Free faulty light fitting repair included in the cost
- Free missing or broken shade replacement included in the cost
Astro Timer Clock Replacement
- Din enclosure box used.
- Fuses upgraded to circuit breakers where applicable.
- Clock complies and set to CEC stair lighting specification.
- See more on Astro timer clocks
- LED conversion light fitting as per City of Edinburgh Councils (CEC) stair lighting specification.
- New digital Astro timer clock where applicable included in the quote.
- Converting LED increases light levels in the stairwell.
- LED is brighter for safety and energy saving.
- No more trying to organise the stair every couple of years.
- For free advise on converting your home to LED
Free Survey Condition Report
AEW can complete a free survey condition report of your communal stairwell that includes fixed price cost options. This does not incur the cost of a tied in weekly maintenance contract. Complete the contact form with your details and address and I will do the rest.
Clock is faulty and there is no lighting in the stair
If the stair lights are not working I can either try and reset the clock if this is not possible I can temporary get the lights on for safety. There is a nominal charge of £50 for this service but in the event if any part of the quote is taken up then this will be refunded.
Organisers Stair Lighting information and help forms
Below is AEW information forms that can be downloaded to help liase with your fellow residents and then coordinate the work required. Read the links below for more information.
AEW residents notification form
Organisers sign off form
For stair coordinator advise
CEC advise on shared repairs and maintenance website
Unwanted or abandoned bikes in stairwell organisers form