Edinburgh Stair Lighting Repairs
Welcome to AEW Electrical (Andy White) Edinburgh stair lighting site. So, if you want peace of mind , fixed costs that incudes free light fitting repairs with no extra charges then read below.
City of Edinburgh Council Repairs (CEC)
City of Edinburgh Council (CEC) ceased to maintain and repair tenement stair lighting in communal areas within private properties on June 2016 . Therefore this has moved the onus of responsibility onto the owners. As a result they now have a legal duty of care for repair and maintenance to ensure that the stair lighting is operational.
Although City of Edinburgh Council has given up common stair light maintenance in private properties they do still pay for the electricity. So, it is good practise to comply with the CEC specification on maintaining stair lights.
In concusion where the stair does not comply with this specification CEC may insist on an electric meter being fitted thus transferring the cost of the power supply to the owners.
All aspects of communal stair lighting repairs. Modifications and upgrades are covered by AEW Electrical who now offer light fitting repairs and shade replacement free of charge during a re-lamp. A customer recently said “It helps me greatly that my task as the organiser is a lot easier due to fixed costs. It is also peace of mind for me and the other residents with no surprise or extra charges”
Stair Lighting Edinburgh
Whats so special about Edinburgh stair lighting ?
- Well for a start the cost to pay for the maintenance and repairs was charged through the old rates system now the council tax.
- The majority have no electric meters fitted so CEC still pay via a calculated charge so, its good practise to follow their specifications. (This is under constant review)
- Light fittings are 30-40 years old and are nearing the end of their service life
- The lights are controlled via a Astro timer clock that tracks Edinburgh’s sunset and sunrise times.
- The clocks have an energy saving mode and on & off times change daily.
- Longer life tubes are used.
- Starter units replaced.
- Shades washed and cleaned.
- Check operation of Astro clock
- Free faulty light fitting repair
- Free missing or broken shade replacement
Astro Timer Clock Replacement
- Din enclosure box used.
- Fuses upgraded to circuit breakers where applicable.
- Clock complies and set to CEC stair lighting specification.
- See more on Astro timer clocks here
- LED conversion light fitting as per City of Edinburgh Councils (CEC) stair lighting specification.
- New digital Astro timer clock where applicable included in the quote
Free Survey Condition Report
AEW can complete a free survey condition report of your communal stair that includes fixed price cost options. This does not incur the cost of a tied in weekly maintenance contract. Click here and complete the contact form with your details and address and I will do the rest.
Organisers Stair Lighting information and help forms
AEW Information help sheets that can be downloaded to facilitate liaison and coordination with your fellow residents regarding the work required. Click the links below for more information.
AEW residents notification form click here
Organisers sign off form click here
For stair coordinator advise click here
For CEC advise on shared repairs and maintenance click here
For Unwanted or abandoned bikes in stairwell form click here
For a generic shared repairs notification form click here