Stair Lighting Control Box
The image on the right is a typical Edinburgh stair lighting control box that houses the astro timer clock and fuses. If your thinking of accessing this box for your own safety please don’t. If your not a qualified electrician then basically you are putting yourself at risk and worse if you get hurt then there is a good chance any accident insurance you have may not cover you. Also if you make things worse then your fellow residents may insist that you pick up the bill to repair via last man free’s all mentality.
Accessing Light Fittings
The image on the right shows a damaged and normal stair light fitting. I cannot stress enough, it is just not safe to access these light fittings. Some have 24 hour supplies with exposed 240 volt live parts. Check my twitter feed here
The image on the left is a typical diy stair lighting repair after “Joe Public” tried to fix leaving the stair in darkness and the residents with a bill to repair. As you can see there are exposed terminals with a couple being live. Not a safe way to leave a job
The image on the right is the same control box tided up with a new astro timer clock along with the old fuses replaced by miniature circuit breakers fitted in a plastic Din box. No exposed live terminals just nice and safe. For more information click here
- Having a go with limited skills can be dangerous .
- You could make it worse. I know as I have had to fix these jobs leaving the residents with a bigger bill.
- Don’t put yourself at risk and get hurt leaving you with time off work without pay.
- This is not house electrics and most control boxes are next to the 415 volt mains incomer that supplies the individual flats.
- Accident insurance companies may not cover you as stair lighting is classed as utility equipment.
- Costs are equally shared in the stair so don’t risk it.
- AEW cannot give advise the general public on diy stair lighting repair .
- AEW can do a free survey condition report with costs and options quickly.